College students are known for being broke. After tuition, books and noodles there is really not much left. So where does the beer and gas money come from? Here are some ideas:
- Tutor: You are already in school and they expect you to learn, so why not learn while earning some extra cash? Unless you are a freshman, you can offer to help lower level students in classes you already took. Or you can branch out and tutor high school and middle school students. The advantage of tutoring you fellow college friends is that you can do it without leaving campus. The advantage of the younger students however, is that since their parents are the ones paying for your services you can usually charge more.
- Babysitting: Nothing new about babysitting, but always a good alternative. You can sign up at sites like care.com or sittercity.com and make a profile. You can also post at the bulletin board of churches in your area. Most churches offer day care during the week and weekends and they are always looking for people to help.
- Crafts: Can you do any crafts? Knitting, crochet, sewing…anything? Then sell! You can sell on campus or on sites like etsy.
- Mystery shopping: What could be better than shopping/eating for free AND getting paid to do it? Depending on the assignment you can even bring a friend.
- Doing laundry: This is something that works great on campus. Everyone needs clean laundry, so while not make some cash out of your friends needs? Ask them to drop their laundry at your room at a specific day and tell them when to pick their clean laundry from your room. You have to do yours anyway so no time wasted here!
- Cook: Like to cook? Increase your quantities and sell by the container! You friends can come fill their containers and leave their cash! Your friends will be very grateful they don’t have to eat in the cafeteria.
- Avon: Very easy to do and very little time involved. Drop some magazines around the campus and wait for the orders!
- Ebay: Have a dorm full of stuff you don’t use? Sell them! You make some cash and your room gets cleaner. What could be better?
- Color hair/nails: Professional treatments can be very expensive. Offer to do them cheaper at the comfort of their own dorms
- Fix cars: Same idea as above but for cars. Oil change is always going to be a need for anyone who has a car and they will love not to have to leave campus.
- Play at a local restaurant: Music majors, this is for you. You can practice while you make money. Ask the restaurants in your area.
- Photography: If you are good with a camera you can profit. Offer to take pictures for your friends. End of the ear is great because there are a lot of engagements during this time. You can also set an online store to sell your photos.
- Tax preparation: This is very seasonal, but can be lucrative. Most college students have very simple incomes to declare. Also, companies like H R; block are always looking for new employers during tax season.
- Sell plasma/hair/sperm: If you can find a place in your area, this can be fairly lucrative. Plus you know you are helping people in the process.
- Sell aluminum cans: Every campus produces a lot of cans. Between the beer cans and the soda cans you can possibly make some cash. Look at the yellow page under “recycling center”.
- Sell Yourself: Well I dont mean literally just if you are good at writing why not put it to use and start providing article or essay writing service. You know the huge demand for essay and how every one is ready to buy a dissertation online.
These are just a few ideas of what you can do. The trick is to be creative. While at college, you have a large number of people with very specific needs. Find a way to fulfill them! Good Luck!